Friday, May 29, 2009

chapter 5: Bunny Geek

There, our eyes met for some seconds. I was about to smile
when he suddenly turned his head on the board. What a strange fellow.


"Good morning sunshine," mom sung. I got my good singing voice from her which you won't notice 'cause I have a low speaking voice.

"Morning, mom. Thanks for waking me up. Wish me luck 'kay?" I yawned.

"Of course sweetie. After all its your first regular day. I will wish you luck," my mom smiled at me. I love my mom so much. "Dad went to office already."

"As always, one hour before you wake up." My mother hid her disappointment. She always wanted us to have breakfast together but dad has to go early for office even when we were in Japan.


"Mom, go on now. I'll take a bath first. Human hygiene, you know. I don't want to smell unpleasantly on my first day."

"Sure, I'll get your breakfast ready now."

I finished taking a bath. O, I forgot to place my things on my new bag. There, mission cleared. I went straight down and ate my egg sandwich as fast as I can. I want to be early on my first day; it won't be a good impression to be late on the first. I wonder who'd be my homeroom teacher. I wonder if I'll be with Audrey or Courtney's class. Good thing I have two friends.

"Mom, I'm going. ja-ne (see you later)!"

"Gambare (good luck), Sanyu!"

I ride on my bicycle and watched the houses on the way to Algona High School. Even though the place is small, the people in it are always wearing a bright and warm smile. Looking at their faces makes me feel good already. Algona is such a nice place full of good people. What a blue clear sky we have today. O, right. I have to look on the street or I might get bumped again. I wonder if Audrey escape again today or will she be in her luxurious car.

I'm finally here. Firstly, I have to get my schedule. Mrs. Beyer gave me my schedule and told me that I start my day with Class A. There are only two classes per level here, A and B. The smarter ones are placed in Class A and the rest to Class B. I guess I'll be with Audrey after all.


"Hey San!" Courtney greeted me cheerfully. Maybe chagrin was never in her vocabulary.

"Hey Court, where's Aud?" I asked. Aren't they always together?

"Well, if Aud isn't here yet, it only means that she was not able to escaped their guards."

"Poor Aud, I wanna see her face depressed." I chuckled.

"O look, she has arrived." Courtney pointed to the main gate.

"See, I told you her face would be funny." I chuckled, softer now so she won't hear me, "Hi Aud. Don't we have a good morning to start with?"

"Yeah we have but don't start teasing with me." She threatened which made me and Courtney giggle even more.

"So what class are you in?" Aud changed the topic. She was enlightening the mood now.

"I believe with you, Class A." I hypothetically said. I might be wrong but... no.

"Dang! I'm left again in Class B; you should have made 30 mistakes you know." Courtney suggested.

"O, you should have said that earlier Courtney but they'll send me to A too if they see my quizzes marked with 100s." I chuckled.

"Well, let's go now to our class, A is stricter than B you know." Aud suggested.

"Yeah, I'll go ahead too and find some friends in my own class." Courtney said full of optimism.


And Courtney parted with us. Class A's were put in the left corridor while the B's in the right. At least I'll never get lost in B. I hope. The one at the edge was for the seniors and the nearest was for the freshmen. So our class was in the second room obviously.


"I'll go inside first Sanyu, you wait here." She winked at me and went in. Well of course, I have to properly introduce myself. I'm a newbie after all. I saw Audrey whispering to the ear of a lady. She should be Ms. Georgina Conrad, our homeroom teacher. Ms. Conrad nodded her head.

"Class, we have a new student. She just came back from Japan. Be kind to her, okay?" I heard Ms. Conrad introducing me from the inside. "Come in now please."

Okay, I can do this. Audrey's there so if I get scared, I'll just look at her. One, two, three. I opened the door. I was bowing my head. Inhale, exhale Sanyu. Okay, up. Wow, they were all smiling at me. They're so hospitable.

"Hello, my name is Sanyu Hyuuga. Actually I have studied here in Algona five years ago that's why I understand English very well.. I am very pleased to meet you all. Please be good to me." I said confidently feeling their warm personality.

"Thank you for that message Ms. Hyuuga. Now please sit there at the back row nearest to the window. Beside Mr. Hale please."

O, great spot, above me is Audrey. She waved to me happily and I smiled back. The guy beside me snorted when I reached his side. What's with him? He was the only one who has an opposing feeling for me. Hale? Sounds familiar, really.


The class went on and I can't concentrate because I can see from the edge of my eye that Mr. Hale keeps on glaring at me like a mortal enemy spying 24/7. He was really a bother so I thought of a solution. I'll look at him too. There, our eyes met for some seconds. I was about to smile when he suddenly turned his head on the board. What a strange fellow. At least he will stop glaring now. I can't wait to go to another class without him.


Physical Education Class. Good, female are separated from men which means goodbye Mr. Hale. Hmm, what's his first name? I don't have any idea at all.

"Hi Nathan! It was a long boring vacation without you. I'm sure you missed me too." screamed a girl who was tortured by make-up. I giggled by the thought that this was her girlfriend.

He saw me giggling which made him even more pissed. "O, well but I had a very nice vacation without you. Miranda, will you please back off to the girls." He still looked at me even though he was referring to Miranda. She noticed that and looked at my way. I turned my head to Audrey as fast as I could.

"Hey Aud! O, Courtney your there." I said mumbled so fast.

"Hey, hey, relax! You stole something didn't you?" Audrey teased me. Courtney laughed.

"No! I was just scared of that Miranda. That's why I went here already."

"Why? What did you do to Miranda Vane? Are you flirting with Nathan Hale on your first day?" Audrey asked, Nathan would be the only reason for Miranda to get mad.

"I didn't! They were talking, Miranda was lovey-dovey and I giggled. Then he barked on Miranda but he was looking at me when he was talking. Miranda noticed that and before she could see me, I went to you guys."

"Ooh, I smell something Aud." Courtney stated.

"Yeah, I smell a fight from this girl with Miranda from now on. Don't you think?" Audrey said.

"But I don't like that Hale! He keeps on glowering at me! He hates me, 'kay?" I defended myself.

"That's not what Miranda thinks. Be careful from now on Sanyu, got that?" Audrey stared at me.

"Yes ma'am. I got that Ms. Blew." I answered.


O, volleyball is our game today. Great, I'll forget my irritation for now. Wow, I am playing really good today. Baam, a spike again! We won three sets straight. Thanks to me, haha. Just kidding but it's kind of true you know. O, here comes Mr. harry Crow, our P.E. teacher. I wonder what he wants from me.

"Hey kid. I have seen your good game. Wanna check the volleyball team later? Every 5 pm. We would be delighted to have someone playing like you do." He offered me.

"I have no problem with that Mr. Crow. I'd love to play for Algona." I replied.

"O yeah, you could refer to Ms. Conrad, she's my assistant coach. Your in the same class with Mr. Hale right? He's the captain for the men's. You could ask him."

"Uhm, can't I ask the girls' captain instead sir?"

"Well of course you can. But she's a senior now, her name is Jane Stellar. She's in Class B."

"Thank you Mr. Crow. I guess I'll just have to deal with Mr. Hale after all." I replied bitterly.

Maybe it wasn't really a bad idea. I could make him open up and maybe he'll no longer get mad at me. And even tell him make his girlfriend get away from my nerves and maybe, maybe...

"Hey Nate! Come here for a while." Mr. Crow shouted. Those words made me come back to reality.

"Yes Coach?" Then he met my eyes. He was confused when he noticed my presence. He looked at me like I was stinking.

"I'd like you to personally help Ms. Hyuuga about club activities of the volleyball team since your classmates. You should chat during lunch time about it. Clear?"

"What?" I and Nathan both said. "Excuse me coach, but why not Jane do it? She's the..."

"I said are we clear Mr. Hale?" Mr. Crow cut off Nathan's explanation. "I'll be watching."

"Yes we are Mr. Crow." He half-heartedly agreed. Mr. Crow went away now.

I was sticking my tongue ready to tease him. Hey is that a smile? But he made a stone face again when he looked at me.

"Looks like you got to get along with me Nathan Hale." I teased.

"What a bother, isn't it bunny geek." He teased back.

"You just called me what?" I asked surprised by the familiar nickname.

"Well if you have problems with your ear, yes, I called you bunny geek." He barked. He seemed like he used the wrong words like he regretted using the nick name.

"Whatever. I'll just talk to you at lunch time." I went to Audrey who's about to change clothes. When we were done, I went to Courtney to bid goodbye. I searched for Nathan with my eyes before I go up. I saw him for the first time smiling wholeheartedly. It made me smile too. I knew I was blushing but who cares? I've got rosy cheeks so it won't be noticed. I just blushed 'cause he was handsome smiling like a kid there. Hmm, Bunny Geek. What's so familiar about it?

to be continued

No comments: