Saturday, May 23, 2009

chapter four: Mean Girls

I don't know why, but when I heard his name, I can feel inside my adrenaline rushing through my veins. I can feel my head burning, my cheeks blushing harder. His name was like air I couldn't help but breathe it.



"Question time!" Courtney grinned. She was the most excited person instead of me in this sharing that's about to happen. I set my alarm on my phone thirty minutes before seven o'clock so I can go home before seven. I might not notice the time with our conversation.

"Right." I muttered. "Audrey, I'm quite confused."

"About what?" She asked, confused too.

"You see, we bumped each other on the street, meaning you walked to school." I stated.

"Correct, so?" She questioned me, still confused on where this will go.

"I'm just wondering why you were able to walk to school but weren't able to the mall. Is there any difference?" I asked, too curious.

"O, that? I just escaped last morning so Gran doesn't know I walked. Keep quiet about it 'kay?"

"O sure, but why did you escaped? If I were you, I'd be glad to have a ride everyday."

"If you were me? You don't really want to take that as your answer." It wasn't a question.

"Why not?" I asked, I don't understand all of it.

"Because you want to experience being a normal kid, not all the rich stuffs can make you happy."

"Like what?" I was curious. What rich stuffs can't make her happy?

"Well you know San, Audrey can only see her parents during holidays. They work very hard on their office in Canada. They can't always get home here." Courtney answered for Audrey.

"Well, right. And you know San, when I walk, I feel like I'm free of doing anything. I feel like a real human being and I'm feeling it now too." She smiled an angel's. It looks true with her eyes.

"I see. Hey Aud, I've got one question left for you. " I said, very eager to know the answer.

"What is it?"

"What happened during your grade school days that you're very annoyed with it?"

"O, I'll tell you that later. I'm sure we'll get there." She said. I saw Courtney giggling. I'm sure she was waiting for that conversation.

"Well then Courtney, I'm just curious. Where do you get that cheerful side?" I asked.

"I'm just positive about life." She was obviously giving a short answer.

"O right, when we were at school, you were gonna ask me something, right? What is it?"

"O yeah, I almost forgot about that. Well, since you're Japanese, I was just wondering if you could lend me your mangas. I'm an otaku, you see." She begged.

"I totally see. And I will" I said, "so what's school like?"

"Well, it's the same like any other schools, some boring subjects. You studied here for seven years, you should know it still." Audrey said, she was like asking me.

"Well yeah, I mean the people in it. Are they friendly or not? Will they hate me?" I asked.

"Well they won't hate you..."

"Unless you're dealing with Miranda Vane." Courtney finished Audrey's sentence. Her eyes got bigger when she said Miranda Vane.

"Miranda Vane?" I asked, very curious.

"You know, mean girls in school. Miranda wants to be the number one beauty in school. She's pretty dull." Audrey said.

"You said girls, it's not only her?"

"You're such a good observant Sanyu. Right there are two, I mean one more. Leigh Woods."

"Leigh Woods was kind and so sweet before she met Miranda. Miranda has helped her find her real parents. She was too grateful she acts like her bodyguard." Courtney added.

"And the other is Karen Waltz." Audrey smiled.

"I thought there is only one left?" I asked, she changed two into one.

"Well, Karen's not mean so I didn't count her." Audrey said. I kind of believe her.

"But why is she with Miranda and Leigh?" I wondered.

"Well, it's just our hypothesis. We think Miranda is blackmailing Karen." Courtney said.

"That makes sense." I finished the question. "When is the volleyball tryout? I'd like to join."

"They don't hold a tryout. Coach Harry will just ask you if you want to be a member when he sees you've got the skills during P.E." Audrey quickly answered.

"Okay, let's talk about the boys in school." Courtney giggled eyeing Audrey who was annoyed.

"O shut up, Court." Audrey barked.

"I'm not interested at all Court, so you might as well just stop." I smiled to Audrey.

"You know Charles Montez? He's Miranda's slave. He's been courting her for a year now but he looks like he'll be dumped. He's just being used, you know." Courtney continued like nobody tried to stop her.

"Good for that dog." Audrey's tone shifted.

"Audrey and Charles were chess mates. Once they made a bet, whoever loses will become a slave, well, more likely a dog to the winner for two days."

"And Audrey lost." I stated.

"Yes she did. She followed every order Charles gave. She even made him a home made lunch, which was an order too. When Charles received it, he purposely dropped it." Courtney said.

"And he ordered me to lick the food that fell on his shoe because of his own fault, that moron!" Audrey continued, "but it was too much so I didn't. Then he showed posters to everyone about me showing I was a dog, that I licked his shoe because I wanted too."

"Is he even a man?" I questioned. So that was the grade school scene.

"Well he's courting Miranda, right? So I guess the dog is." Audrey finished the topic.

"Did you know that when you get to fail any subject, you'll be tutored by the opposite sex? I'm wondering who would tutor me if I failed."

"You're not going to fail purposely your subjects, right? But I think Riley Braid would be a good tutor for you 'cause he's shy. He won't get intimidated." Audrey advised.

"Well, doesn't matter. I think Courtney only likes to talk about boys but doesn't want to be involved with them yet." I said.

"Well you're right!" Courtney replied. "Ah, I almost forgot about Nathan Hale."

"Nathan Hale." I don't know why, but when I heard his name, I can feel inside my adrenaline rushing through my veins. I can feel my head burning, my cheeks blushing harder. His name was like air I couldn't help but breathe it. Right, breathe, breathe. I can sense now I'm becoming pale again.

"You know Miranda is very in love with Nathan even though he clearly tells her that she doesn't stand a chance. Like 'us' is impossible. But Miranda doesn't care, she will keep on targeting Nathan. If you don't want any fight, back off from Nathan. But if you'll like him, we'll just have to deal with Miranda." Audrey stated.

"No worries, I'm not yet ready for another relationship." I replied, kind of hurt.

"Another, what do you mean?" Courtney asked, it was new to her and to Audrey.

"Well back in Ja..."

beep, beep... beep, beep... beep, beep...

I almosted off my seat, I was surprised by my alarm, "I forgot, I alarmed my phone, I'll tell you next time. But right now, can we go home now?"

"Sure" they replied.

Audrey gave me and Courtney a ride home. I was off first so I don't know what they will talk about inside the car. But I'm pretty grateful that I had escaped. I might cry in the coffee shop, good thing my phone alarmed. But I know time will come I'll have to tell them. And I'll ready myself. Right now, I just want to have a good night sleep. Good night.

to be continued

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well... as a reader... i say... its intersting...its a little sad... kidna :P ... its funny :D

uhmmm i think there are wrong grammars.... not sure :D

uhmmm yah... its good :D

annaflor said...

i'll recheck it, sir :p